The SAT will be changing next year. I have noted the changes below. I hope this will help those of you who are contemplating which test to take. In my opinion, the changes seem to be positive and will increase student scores, especially if the student is strong in math.
New SAT information
* These changes will take effect in the spring of 2016
* There will still be a reading, writing, and math test. The reading and writing will be combined to a score ranging from 200-800 and the math will be scored from 200-800. Therefore the new SAT will only be between 400-1600 in score range rather than the current 600-2400.
* The new SAT will have an optional Essay test. There will be an essay score from 1-4 on three specific criteria: Reading, Analysis, and Writing.
* On the reading and writing sections, you will see a greater emphasis on assessing writing conventions and author’s command of evidence. You’ll see passages from a wider range of disciplines. You’ll also see vocabulary that is less obscure and used more widely in college.
* On the optional Essay test, you’ll be given more time (50 minutes), and you’ll be asked to demonstrate your ability to analyze data and explain an author’s writing style.
* The new SAT will eliminate the guessing penalty. You’ll no longer be deducted ¼ a point for wrong answers. Also the new exam offers only 4 answer choices (A to D), compared to the current 5 answer choices (A to E). You’ll now have a better chance of guessing without a penalty.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.